Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Time of Preparation

Last year as we approached Advent, my Spiritual Director asked me what I was planning for Advent.  My first thoughts were, well....buying gifts, cooking, and decorating.  But of course she did not mean what my preparations were for Christmas - but for the time of waiting - for Advent.  I thought a couple of minutes and decided I would renew my Marion Consecration.  I like Fr. Gaitley's "33 Days to Morning Glory" and so I counted the days out and started it to end on Christmas Day.  After Midnight Mass, I kneeled and renewed my Consecration.  I have to say, it made my Advent so much more.  I felt a connection with Mary, joining in her waiting for the birth of her Son that I had not experienced before.

We do so much spiritual renewal during Lent as we prepare for the Risen Christ - but we miss our preparation to welcome the Christ Child within our lives.  This year I am working through another of Fr. Gaitley's books "33 Days to Merciful Love" again, I've timed it to end on Christmas Day.  It talks about how great God's love and mercy is for us.  Something we all need to be reminded of from time to time.

There are many things you can do during this time of waiting and anticipation outside of Santa Claus.  Advent Wreaths are wonderful devotions for families and I've found several Advent Calendars which are dedicated to doing service each day (just google "Advent calendar service ideas") are just a couple of ideas.  Make it a new custom in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...