Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Keeping the Faith while Visiting Over the Holidays

As the holidays grow closer, you may be making arrangements to travel to stay with friends or family,   And you could be wondering what will be the best way for you to maintain your prayer life and attend Mass - especially if those you are visiting have a different faith beliefs or even lack of faith.  I know for me it can be a challenge.

I am from a family who does not really have any spiritual beliefs - at times, I actually wonder, where I came from since I am the direct opposite. As a child, my dad would say the prayer before our meals - but he said it so fast, no one even knew what he said.  I remembering having one of my school friends over for the weekend, we sat down for dinner and Dad did his speed praying; I looked over at my friend and she still had her head bowed, a nudged her with my elbow saying he was done.  I know today it was because he does not believe in God. (which I know is a whole another blog post)

I was home for Thanksgiving this year and my brother had hosted the meal.  I was surprised when everyone just started eating - not praying and not even wait on everyone to get their food. When I am at home with my husband, and at holidays with his family, we always pray before meals - especially if it’s a holiday. So, I quietly closed my eyes before eating and prayed.  I have been lucky, I usually stay with one of two friends who both have strong faiths - so if I said I was heading to Mass - they would be fine with it.  But not everyone is that lucky.

You will want to plan in advance - check the Mass schedule for the area you are visiting.  Let your hosts know you will be slipping out to attend Mass.  Don't make a big deal over it, just simple leave.   I also try to have a small devotional with me, so that I can either read it right before going to sleep or just as I wake.  Depending on your family, you may expect a little push back (which is why I just quietly prayed before eating on Thanksgiving.)  But this is a time when your actions will speak louder than words. The more you plan ahead of time, the easier it will be for you.  Just remember, God knows your heart, he knows your desires.  And if you make an effort, he will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...