Thursday, February 8, 2018

What to do about Lent?

Lent is fast approaching, and it's time to decide what we want to "do" for Lent.  You notice I said "do" instead of "give-up" -- I think as good Catholic children - we were always counseled we had to give-up something tangle-able for the Lenten season -- dessert, pop, candy, etc.  And as a good Catholic child, that is exactly what I did - I would hate to count how many years, I gave up chocolate.  This was fine when we were children - we needed to learn the lesson of sacrifice - but now as adults - we need to dig a little deeper.  Lent should be a time of growth - growing in our relationship with Christ.  Yes, we need to acknowledge that he died for our sins - he gave the greatest sacrifice - his own life - but by simply just giving up dessert - are we really honoring Jesus' sacrifice are we really learning from his example?  Does Jesus want our desserts or our love?

While discussing with my Spiritual Director about Lent - we came up with something I believe that will be perfect for me.  During Advent - I completed a Consecration to Merciful Love - so it would make sense that I now put my consecration into action by focusing on the Corporal Works of Mercy for Lent.

For those who are not sure of the Corporal Works of Mercy they are:  Feed the Hungry, Give Drink to the Thirsty, Shelter the Homeless, Visit the Sick, Visit the Prisoner, Bury the Dead, and Give Alms to the Poor (I had to look them up too.)

My personality type is to map it all out - what I will do and when I will do it - so I began to plan out the weeks (I've decided to actually start the Sunday before Ash Wednesday so that I can have 7 full weeks plus Holy Week.) Then I began to write out some ideas - but I stopped myself - I really need to allow God to lead this - not my pencil.  So, I do have some ideas - though I'm not planning a day by day schedule.  This will be a challenge for me, I like to be in charge - but this is what Lent is about - learning to trust God each and everyday and follow His will and not my own.

Up first will be "Feed the Hungry" -- this will be interesting - I've found God already speaking to my heart.  I will blog about my progress each week.

My prayer is that you too will be inspired to use this Lent as a time of growth -- allowing God to speak to you.  Take this time before Lent begins for prayer and ask Him - what can you do to improve your relationship - where does He want you to go or do ?  You just may be surprised by the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...