Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Calling in the Desert

As a mother and wife I can tell you that there have been many times when I feel that everything I say falls on deaf ears.  I only want good for my family - so suggesting that my son pick up his dirty clothes or put the dish into the dishwasher versus on the counter is for his good - teaches him discipline.  But I believe there are times my family simply tunes me out.  One, perhaps because they know what I am asking them to do may require effort; or two, may require them to change something in their behaviors as in putting the dirty clothes down the laundry shoot instead of on his bedroom floor; or perhaps it is a concern that it could be a little of both.

And, I believe - make that "I know" at times I do the same with God.  I can see what he is asking of me will require me to do something/to change something.  So, I act like I didn't hear it.  Honestly, who am I kidding?  Just as I know what my child is doing, so too does the Lord know what I am doing.

It can be scary to change - it may require us stepping out of our comfort zone.  There are times when it is much easier to stay here in sin than to change.  It also just as scary when we can see the path the Lord is moving us to - and it's big and long and hard.

This is when faith must step in.  This is when we need to release our fears, and to be truthful, it is when we need to stop thinking about ourselves and our fears and just do what the Lord is asking.

Fear of what to come is a very human reaction.  We can put too much thought into it - so much so - the fear locks our feet to the ground.  What we see in the fear becomes our reality; even if it is absolutely a lie.

So, how do we release the fear?  Lots of books have been written on it, many I've read.  But it all boils down to our Faith.  Faith in the Father - faith that his love for us is greater than any fear our mind can conjure up - faith that his never ending mercy is there to help us to reject sin and pick us up each time we stumble - and faith that he is walking beside us with each and every step we take.

Today is a good day - hear the voice crying in the desert - do not tune it out or turn away.  Do not think of our own self, do not allow fear to keep us from the goodness of the Lord.  Just as Peter had to face his fear when he stepped out of the boat - the Lord is asking/calling us to do the same.

Let's turn our attention to the Lord, open our ears and do a little "water walking" today; let us step away from our fear and answer the Lord's call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...