Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Changing my DNA

I am a child of the 60's and 70's - and attending Catholic school after Vatican II was interesting, though I didn't know it at the time.  The Sisters did their best, but it was a whole new world, new thoughts, new ideas.  Not only were we putting a man on the moon, but society as a whole was changing - so was the Church (St. Pope John XXIII - "we need to throw open the church windows - and let the light shine in.")  I can remember a Sister when I was in High School - had us write one of our sins on a small piece of paper which we put together in a coffee can - she then set it a fire.  I don't remember her saying we were forgiven - but I think the exercise was to remind us as the smoke risen, it took our sorrow and our desire for Mercy to the Father; and to give it to God to help us overcome that particular sin.  I also remember watching a birthing film in my Senior year as part of our Senior Religion Class (which I fainted during - but that's a whole different story.)  So, I can safely say some of the basic catechism was missed.

Today I am working on improving my understanding of the Catholic Church and my faith.  One of the ways I am doing this is studying the Gospels.  I've started with Mark - it's the first written and the shortest - and according to my Pastor - it's the best (could be because his name is Mark...lol).  Now, with all this back ground information on me in mind - you can understand better my revelation.

I am into the Last Supper - Take and Eat, Take and Drink.  The commentator on this section has made an interesting point (though I'm sure I have heard this before - it has really hit me now.)  She said in Hebrew "body" does not only mean the flesh - but the whole person - flesh and soul.  As I read this I had a revelation - when we receive Holy Communion - Jesus comes into us (not new news here) - his whole person - but not just for an hour or a day - but for the rest of our lives - he has become a part of our DNA, he has become a part of who we are; he has changed us.  It is why we celebrate the first time someone celebrates the Sacrament of the Eucharist.  He is there, He is a part of us - always - whether we acknowledge it or not.  I see it as my super power.  And, receiving Holy Communion on a regular basis helps us to grow closer to him; helps us to open our hearts to acknowledge his presence within us; helps us to allow him to change us even more.

One of the other revelations I had when reflecting on how Jesus joins with us when we eat and drink - is that he is there for the long haul - not like someone who get's mad when we do something wrong and unfriends us on FaceBook - but he is there come hell or high water.  We might be going through troubling times, but Jesus is there - and he is not going away - no matter how hard we might try.

I have always had a devotion to the Holy Eucharist - when I was a child - I so believed it was Jesus' body, I thought the small cross that is in the center of host was a vein - Father said it was Jesus - and so I completely believed - without question.  But now I have an even deeper devotion - I have a better understanding of how important it is to receive Holy Communion.  As Father raises the Bread and the Wine at consecration - I find myself saying - "Thank you Lord - I believe, I truly believe.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...