Monday, January 8, 2018

I Saw You

As children we loved to have secret codes with our friends, notes we passed in school with coded messages.  We knew the note or message was from our friend based on the password. Sometimes this would get us in trouble for passing notes during class time, other times we were crushed when we learn that our friend had shared with someone else our secret.

 As we grew older we would still share intimate thoughts or secrets with an extremely close friends or loved ones. We would tell our spouses things no one else would know - of our dreams, our fears, our desires, our anguish.  It is one of the elements of the bond between a husband and a wife, your trust in them.

Last week we heard when Jesus called  Nathaniel (John 1:43-51). Nathaniel was skeptical of Jesus “for nothing good could come from  Nazareth,” he said.  But then Jesus said something to him that had Nathaniel proclaimed that Jesus was the “Son of God.”  Jesus simple said “I saw you under the fig tree.”  I wonder why would this matter - I see people every day - they are not falling down proclaiming me the savior (if they did, I would wonder about their mental capacity.)

What I believe is that under that infamous fig tree Nathaniel was in prayer, perhaps asking why God does not see him and his people's struggles. And when Jesus said he “saw him” - this was the answer to Nathaniel's prayers - for only God would know what he was praying - and God answered "YES" I see you- and I have answered your prayers in the form of my beloved son Jesus.  For Jesus was not referring to his physical sight — but that Jesus saw Nathaniel’s true prayer - he saw Nathaniel’s struggles - he “SAW” Nathaniel.

This revelation encourages me immensely.  I am inspired to tell the Lord more of my hopes, dreams, struggles, disappointments.  To build my bond between the Lord and myself even stronger.  Now does this mean all my prayers will be answered just as I have asked - of course not - if that was so, I would have won the lottery last week, but there is satisfaction in the knowledge that God is listening — and who knows someday (most likely at my death)  - Jesus may be standing in front of me saying “Theresa, I SAW you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...