Thursday, January 4, 2018

Window Panes

As someone who was raised in the 60’s and 70’s (yes, now you know approximately how old I am) one of my favorite albums was from the musical “Godspell (based on the book by John-Michael Tebelak).” And the song that I still hum to myself today is the one of John crying in the desert “Prepare ye the way of the Lord,” I’ve actually downloaded it to my phone. It has always resonated with me.  It is a simple song, only one line sung over and over, but it’s the joy and anticipation that comes from the song as it grows louder and stronger that stirs my heart. It is that same joy and anticipation our lives is to speak of as we grow in our faith with Christ.  And just like the one line of the song, even the simplest of lives can have a big impact.

I believe we are all still crying out in the desert - as long as there are ears to hear, we need to still be calling out.  “Why” you might ask.  Well, I will tell you my friend, our lives should speak of the coming of Christ - for those with little or no faith should be able to hear the Father's call through us;  perhaps not so much with words, but through our actions.

As follows of Christ - Christ needs to be the center of the way we live our lives; how we give of ourselves to other, respect human life and and recognize our responsibilities to God’s creation. Our choices should speak of our faith. And we should not hide the light of our faith under a bushel basket.  I know, this is easier said than done.  You may be mocked, lose friends, or even (though unlawful) loss a job. But in the grand scheme of things, these are small sacrifices for a Christ centered life, a life with a heart full of more joy than anything on this earth can produce.

I have always viewed,  though perhaps not always successful - the actions of my life should not speak of me, who I am; but something more important; my prayer is that others should see the Lord through my life, through my actions. As if my life pane of glass in a window, you do not see the glass as you look through it, you only see the beauty outside the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...