Thursday, March 1, 2018

Sheltering the Homeless

To be honest, I really struggled with this week's Corporal Works of Mercy - Shelter the Homeless.  I was raised with certain stereotypes concerning the homeless, and I'm embarrass to  admit they have carried over to my adulthood.

To start off I began doing a little research - on the number of homeless in our state and different shelters.  This was great, but I really felt Jesus calling me to leave the facts and really dig deeper - this was a Lenten project after all - I needed to grow in my faith with each week and each Corporal Works of Mercy.  So, I began to pray - pray for the homeless in my city and pray for direction on how I can help.  As my prayers continued each day - I began to notice my heart changing.  I had to drive over to the Diocese's offices on Monday and as I drove past several homeless people standing along buildings - I did not look upon with disgust as I would have normally done - in fact I looked at them with eyes of faith and love.  I wondered who they were, what were their names, what are their stories, what were their hopes and dreams when they were younger.  And I realized I now was seeing them for who they truly are - Children of God.

In my research, I found an organization which helps the homeless with safe, affordable housing - immediately (many housing projects require the homeless to be already sober.)  Then the organization begins to support the homeless with addiction treatment if needed, and integration support. They even work on teaching the homeless healthy eating which included an Urban Garden Project.  This really intrigued me for I am a "teach a person to fish" kind of person and decided to make a donation to the organization.

I have to admit, I really feel like I've grown this past week - in my faith and in my love for my brothers and sisters.  Will I be perfect - no, I know I still have a ways to go to overcome what I was raised with - but I know with the Lord's help - it is possible.  In my reading I found where Pope Francis has really encouraged us to pray for the homeless - especially in this winter weather.

My main lesson from this week is that everyone has a right to be seen as a child of God and receive the respect that that gives to them.  I also learned, I need to pray more for others, and that prayer can help us to see people in a new light - one of love.

I ask you to join me in my payers for the homeless of this world - may they find the help that is needed, and may we all see them through the eyes of God.

Next week will be Visit the Sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...