Thursday, August 2, 2018

Mercy and Keds -- A Great Combination

It is my belief that every woman should have as many purses and shoes she wants -- I have quite a few of both - (husband rolling eyes)  if you asked my husband - he would say I have too many...lol.  Well, I am not talking about those cute high heels - I wore them many years ago, and my feel would protest if I even think about it now.  What I love is my Keds -- I like having several colors and how cute they look with my jeans.  But both of my big toes turn slightly upwards which causes small holes in my Keds by the end of summer, which require new ones every spring (oh what a shame.)  So, here I am in the shoe store salivating at all the different Keds they had.  As I went to reach for a box with my size on it - another customer was doing the same - the same box - I got to it first and unfortunately it was the last one in that size.  She said something about not sure if she had time to run to another store - she and her family was leaving early the next morning for vacation and as she was finalizing the packing she realized she missed getting herself some new shoes.  As you can guess, I felt bad, I could see she was stressed - I know it's a lot of work to plan a family vacation - especially with young children.  And, I know I had a way to ease just a little of that stress.  I handed her the box - she looked at me in surprise.  I said that I didn't need them for a special date and had plenty of time to check out another store.  I actually saw her body relax a little - I was showing her Mercy at a time when she had not expected it.

Mercy is one of those things we all think we know and understand; and yet we all know we truly do not know exactly what it is or how to define it.  There are many books written on it - in fact I'm reading one right now.

So, just what is Mercy?  According to the author I am reading, he defines Mercy as love - love when we respond to another one's suffering.  I found this fascinating -- because I don't think everyone who needs Mercy realize they are suffering.  We have just learned to live with it - most often describing it as "stress" - and yet, it changes us - it effects our relationship with other people, and it effects our relationship with the Father.

As I thought of Mercy - I thought about times I have received Mercy and times I have given Mercy.  The one that comes to mind first; was when I went to confession a few years ago (yes, I know we receive Mercy every time we celebrate the sacrament of Penance,)  well, I confessed how mad I was with someone who did not complete their job, which ended up falling on me.  I was expecting my penance to be to pray 10 Hail Marys  - or something like that.  But instead - Father told me I was to pray for that person;  which I did reluctantly at first.  As time when on, my heart soften, I began to realize she had had a lot hit her plate all at one time and simply was not able to complete the thing she committed to - and she was sad that this had happened.  She was suffering - and I was holding my mercy from her.  This taught me a great lesson. 

Mercy does not cost anything - the Father gives it to us freely and we are to give it to others just as freely -- and it has great value to the person who is receiving it - and as a side bonus - it is great for us too.


1 comment:

  1. Isn’t it amazing just how rewarding the penance to “pray for the other person” can become? I grumble about it at first... then, I look back and realize my heart softened toward them.

    And, Christ definitely modeled perfect Love and Mercy to all of us! And, God extends those gifts to us. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...