Wednesday, August 15, 2018

My Great Escape!

The phone is ringing, the TV blaring, my "To Do" list seems to grow more than I cross off, meals to cook, laundry to do, and I do not understand how two cats can leave this much hair on the floor and not be naked!

Calgon - Take me away!!

Better yet -- Lord take me away!

I have found every year I need a break from the world and time with the Lord to refresh my soul.

This past weekend I enjoyed my annual retreat.  Several years ago I found the Hermitages with the Franciscan Sisters of Sylvania Ohio. The Hermitage consist of a one room cabin with a bed, recliner, desk and a small kitchenette - plus a bathroom.  There are 2 cabins and they are nestled in a small valley surrounded with trees.  There is no TV, phone, or WiFi.  It is truly a place made for peace and prayer.

The Campus is full of sculpture and fora with wonderful little places to sit and prayer or simply be.  The Sisters have also built a smaller scale replica of the Chapel built by St. Francis in Assisi Italy where the Blessed Sacrament resides in the Tabernacle. 

The beauty of the space is that my retreat time is my own design.  I always come loaded with a tote full of books, not knowing which way the Lord will take me.  My first year I read about St. Monica, other years I have studied Mercy.  Last year I found a book in my stash that I did not know I had, let along remember packing it - and it was just what I needed for the weekend.  This year was no different, but instead of finding something in what I brought with me; I found a book in the gift shop on St. Clare - which took my retreat in a beautiful direction.  I will share more about this book in a later post.

So, why do I find it necessary to go away for a long weekend to pray?  This answer is very simple - Holy Silence.

To be honest, I know I get a little lazy over the year in my prayer life routine.  I allow other things to easily distract me - the bathroom needs cleaning, the cat hair needs vacuuming again, I have planned a lunch with girlfriends.  Here on retreat all those items are removed - your only focus is experiencing God's love.

I always come home with a special peace that words cannot describe and my faith is truly deepened. I absolutely cherish this special time each year.

Now, my question to you --- could your relationship with the Lord benefit from some dedicated "alone time?"  I'm going to assume your answer is "yes."  I found my haven through a "Google" search.  I just searched for "Catholic Retreats near me."  If you want more information on the Hermitages, let me know - I will be thrilled to share.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...