Tuesday, March 13, 2018

I was Imprisoned and You Visited Me

This week's Corporal Works of Mercy - is visiting the imprisoned.


There are many ways a person can be imprisoned - they could be incarcerated within our local prison systems, but there are also the prisons of our own making too.  This week though I thought I would focus more on the incarcerated prisoner.

I do not feel the Holy Spirit leading me to a Prison Ministry -  but I have a friend who is and thought I would share with you his story.

I met Mr. Ed through RCIA, he and his wife are also on the RCIA team with me at my parish.  Mr. Ed has shared over time his interest in the prison ministries - he had participated in the past - but due to job schedules, he had to take a step back.  But now retired, he is ready to begin again.  He is currently in the process of receiving his clearance.

I started the interview by asking Mr. Ed what drew him to this ministry.  He shared that it began back several years ago when he attended a Cursillo weekend.  It was here where the Gospel spoke to him - from Matthew 25:35-36:
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.  
In those words Mr. Ed found his calling.

He shared with me why Prison Ministry is so important - for it is in this ministry that brings not only the  Eucharist and prayer to the prisoner - but also bring their humanity - it puts a face to them.  You come to realize they are only people who have made bad choices in their lives and who are also just like you and me - a child of God.  They are hungry for the Word and they are hungry for the Eucharist.

"I was bringing them my light - I was not expecting to see their light - this really took me by suprise."

For you, as you participate in the ministry - you begin to see and feel how it has changed you, you begin to see people just a little more differently - you begin to see Christ within them.  One static that he shared was of the inmates who receive some type of ministry - 75% will never come back to prison.

If you are interested in learning more about Prison Ministry - you begin by contacting your Parish and Diocese to ask about their Prison Ministry program - they will start you off with a variety of trainings.  You also will receive a mentor who will walk with you as you begin your prison visits as long as you need them and feel comfortable.   One way we as parishioners can support the Prison Ministry in our parish and dioceses is in our prayers - both for the ministers and the inmates.

I never really took the time to think about Prison Ministry - but after speaking with Mr. Ed I have come to understand it's importance and as with the other Corporal Works of Mercy we have explored so far this Lent I have added it to my prayer lists.

Up next week - Bury the Dead


No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...