Wednesday, October 10, 2018

My Brokenness

I had been at the VA with my 82 year old Dad for his Pre-Op Exam appointment.  He has been diagnosed with bladder cancer and stage 4 kidney failure.  I had pushed his wheelchair all over the facilities - we started with the scheduling nurse, then on to labs, third floor for a chest x-ray and seventh floor for an EKG, then back to the first floor to meet with the nurse practitioner for the rest of the exam.  It's a two hour drive for me to meet him and my uncle at the VA (I'm coming from the north, they are coming from the south.)  But, here is the rub, my Dad has not necessarily been the best Dad in the world - and now he is being a real pain.  He is grouchy, rude, and mean. He does not appreciate when anyone does any type of kindness to him and always has a hard opinion about everyone in the world.  When he and my brother are together - it is impossible - oil and water.  But, here I am - with all the emotions from childhood stirred up; pushing him around the hospital.  I feel as a good Christian Catholic I have a duty to be here since he is my Dad, no matter what our past holds.  But then I'm human with all my faults and brokenness; I just want to run away from the whole thing.  It has been very hard, and a test of faith.

That evening though was something very special and healing and it became clear quickly it was just what I needed.  I attended an exceptional evening at my parish to honor our Holy Mother Mary.

We have an unusual statue of Mary at our Church - she is called "Broken Mary."  Kevin Matthews, one of my fellow parishioners found her by a dumpster, broken in half, chipped, and faded by the sun.  After a little negotiating, the shop owner relented to allow Kevin to bring Mary home.  He had a company fix her a little, they had first wanted to make her perfect - but Kevin had said no - he wanted the cracks and imperfections - for she represents our brokenness.  Kevin has written a book on Broken Mary and you can find it here on Amazon.  She resides in my Parish Church, but she is out and about visiting others many a time.

So, back to our special night - it was called "Broken Mary 2.0"  Kevin shared his story and how Broken Mary - who has traveled all over the city, the state, and beyond, has changed his life and the lives of so many who have been touched by her.  He shared that he feels her calling him to bring us all back to the devotion of the Rosary.  And during the evening we also had a very wonderful treat from John Angotti.  He has written a very special song for Broken Mary entitled "Mary's House."  If you are not familiar with John's music - I recommend to you to learn more about him - He did a Parish Mission at my Church this past spring and it was inspiring.

For me, this was such a special evening of healing - my eyes filled with tears from the start when as a faith community we prayed a Rosary and to the very end of the evening with John singing again his song for Mary. 

It is truly amazing how the Father gives us exactly what we need - when we need it.  I was very broken that day - and found I was completely healed by Mary's love.  When we entrust our brokenness to Mary - she shares the love and healing of her merciful son with us.  If you too are feeling brokenness - prayer to our Holy Mother for the graces of love and peace - and pray a Rosary - you will find welcoming and grace within her Motherly embrace.

Broken Mary - Diocese of Grand Rapids, MI

Broken Mary - Dynamic Catholic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Child of God

You may know the story of Zacchaeus.  He was a tax collector, considered a sinner because of his job.  Tax collectors were known to cheat pe...